Healthy Lombard is now accepting nominations for its annual Health Heroes recognition, which honors individuals families, and/or businesses who have made a noticeable effort to improve their health and wellness during the past year.
The individuals who are chosen for the Health Heroes recognition will receive their awards at the Mach 2019 Healthy Lombard partners’ Meeting that will be held at Maxfields Restaurant on Roosevelt Road in Lombard, IL.
To make a Health Heroes nomination, please write a one-paragraph (150 words or less) explaining what an individual or family has done to get healthy this past year or what a business has done to help the community or individuals in their workplace lead a healthier life in 2018. Winners will receive a certificate of acknowledgment and a $50 gift card.
Email nominations to Healthy Lombard’s Health Hero Chair, Jenn McGrath at email@example.com or mail the information to her 128 South 3rd Avenue, Lombard, IL 60148 no later than. January 14, 2019. In addition, please include contact information for BOTH the nominator and the nominee (name, address, phone number, email). Read more
Flat apple runs until August 18! So there is still time to participate!
The Flat Apple Summer Program is designed to encourage kids to keep their bodies moving when they are on summer break from school.
The summer activity is called Flat Apple because participants need to show the Healthy Lombard logo (a one-dimensional apple) to receive their participation tickets for taking part in an event such as the Healthy Lombard table at the WTTW Kids’ Fun Food Fest, the Lombard Park District’s Open House at the pool, and the Kids’ Corner at Lombard Cruise Night. They also earn a ticket each time a student completes 90 minutes of personal summer activity, like swimming, playing soccer, riding their bike, etc. The tickets are collected at events and also awarded for answering the Weekly Challenge Questions.
Imagine a world in which you learn something is good for you and immediately find the motivation to follow through with it. Say, exercise. What a dream, right? No one’s disputing the fact that regular exercise leads to healthier bodies and happier minds. However, so many of us still find ourselves in and out of workout routines, skipping our morning run for a few extra minutes of shut-eye, and feeling frustrated when we realize we’re back where we started, huffing and puffing after a few weeks away from the gym.
So, how do we get out of this start-and-stop rut? A recent study at Iowa State University shows that people are more likely to continue exercising if there is something intrinsically rewarding about the process. This could be something physiological, like the endorphin rush, or it could be the quality time you spend with a friend in the same workout class as you. It takes time for your mind to recognize this reward, but once you’ve created a habit of working out, you won’t have to think about whether or not to work out—you’ll simply prefer to do so.
In starting a workout routine, it’s important to find something you’ll enjoy that is also beneficial to your body and mind. A good place to start is cycling. (Full disclosure: cycling has always been one of my favorite workouts because you can sit, instead of standing like you do when running. Whatever gets you out the door, right?) Cycling has a number of benefits, including:
- It’s low impact. You’re not pounding the pavement, and thus, are not stressing out your bones.
- It’s fun. Remember when you first learned to ride a bike? After you crashed into the bushes a couple of times and finally went soaring? The feeling of cycling, whether indoors or outdoors, resurrects that elation you felt the first time your dad let go of the handlebars.
- You’ll have increased cardiovascular fitness and muscle flexibility with regular cycling. Sign me up.
- Cycling regularly will improve your posture. When you cycle, you’re working out all the major muscles in your body, including those core muscles that hold up your spine. You probably won’t even notice you’re doing it.
- Your bones will grow stronger. The prevalence of osteoporosis is on the rise, as people are continuing to live longer. Consider how grateful you’ll be when you know you’ve done what you can do prevent this.
- People who cycle regularly have lower levels of fat. Need I say more?
- Regular cycling can lead to decreased levels of anxiety and depression. Over and over studies have proved that people feel better when they’re exercising. It’s the least you can do to improve your mental health.
On “Apple Crunch Day”, Healthy Lombard is encouraging everyone to crunch into an apple in a unifying action to raise awareness about eating better diets for our health and the environment, access and affordability of fruits and vegetables, and supporting local farmers.
Hundreds of thousands of school students in Illinois will crunch into an apple at lunchtime on October 12. Parents and other healthy-minded individuals will also join in the fun by crunching into an apple either in corporate cafeterias, their place of business, or at home.
Last year over 600 Lombard Elementary School District 44 and Glenbard High School District 87 students as well as parents, residents and employees at local businesses participated.
Healthy Lombard Foundation Board President Jay Wojcik is hoping to greatly increase that number this year. “We are so grateful to Jewel/Osco on Main Street (in Lombard) who has agreed to provide District 44 students with FREE Apple Coupons,” said Wojcik. “They partnered with us in Apple Crunch Day 2016 and, now that the community is aware of this special day, we are looking forward to much more participation.”
Health Local is a magazine-style monthly cable show that features segments on Healthy Hints, Exercises, Demonstrations of Easy to Follow Recipes, and advice from Health Professionals. After a brief “vacation,” the show is once again being shown on Lombard’s Cable Station
(times listed below.)
The Goals of Health Local are to:
• Make physical activity an integral and routine part of life,
• Create food and beverage environments that ensure that healthy food and beverage options are the routine, easy choice, and
• Transform messages about physical activity and nutrition.
The show is comprised of short 5 – 7 minutes segments that feature:
- Chef’s Corner (cooking segments sometimes featuring students),
- The Doctor is In, (quick health tips by local or well known physicals and/nutritionists)
- Work Out Room, (segments from Health Tracks, Glenbard High Schools, etc.)
- Life Long Lessons (healthy hints for seniors)
- Healthy Hints, (hints shared by attendees at health fairs, NUHS students, COD Nursing Students, and other healthy activities), and
- Generation H (H stands for Healthy – in this segment, students share there favorite exercise of a healthy hints).
The DuPage County Health Department also contributes many segments for the show.
Health Local is aired 4 times a month on Tuesdays at 4:30 PM on Comcast Channel 19 airing in the towns of:
- Carol Stream
- Downers Grove
- Glendale Heights
- Glen Ellyn
- Oakbrook Terrace
- Wood Dale and
- Unincorporated Villa Park
It also airs on the Lombard Channel 6 & ATT&T U-verse Channel 99 (Lombard) on Sundays at 12 Noon, Wednesday at Noon and 11 PM, Fridays at 10 AM, and Saturdays at 5 PM.
Single segments are also uploaded to the Healthy Lombard YouTube Channel. (www.youtube.com/healthylombard). That way, individuals who do not have cable can still view them.
Would you like to be on the show? Contact our producer at: Jay@healthylombard.com
This activity is part of Healthy Lombard’s summer Flat Apple activity and their version of the popular geocache hobby. The sites are not registered /official geocache sites but finding them by the Longitude and Latitude coordinates provided by NASA provides a fun, healthy family activity. All you have to do is follow the coordinates to the official site, find the Flat Apple sign, take a selfie with it, and then post to the Healthy Lombard Selfie Facebook Page or send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want to participate but are unsure how to find the sites, these links might be helpful:
Healthy Lombard’s Flat Apple Summer Program is designed to motivate kids (and their parents since adults are children’s role models) to start, or continue physical exercise, participate in healthy group activities, and practicing healthy habits. The program is designed to encourage kids to keep their bodies moving when they are on summer break from school.
The fine print:
Children ages preschool through high school are eligible to participate.
- Children must be registered to win. To register EITHER Click on the Facebook link at the top of the Healthy Lombard website at www.healthylombard.com and then click “Sign Up”or use THIS LINK TO REGISTER.
- WHEN REGISTERING, PLEASE REMEMBER AFTER YOU FILL IN THE STUDENT INFORMATION TO COMPLETE THE PARENT/GUARDIAN INFORMATION. Once registered you will receive confirmation and a copy of the 2017 logo.
So … Ready Set Go to:
2XL Strength and Fitness in Lombard
Latitude, longitude: 41.841895, 88.008363
Hours of Operation are
9 AM to noon
9 AM to noon
5 PM to 9 PM
9 AM to noon
4 PM to 8 PM
9 AM to noon
5 PM to 9 PM
9 AM to noon
4 PM to 8 PM
5 PM to 9 PM
Guest Services Desk, Located Lower Level below The Eatery at Yorktown Mall
Latitude, longitude: 41.83944444, 88.00583333
Helen Plum Memorial Library in Lombard
Latitude, longitude: 41.878560, 88.028670
Lombard Town Centre Office on Park on Lombard
Latitude, longitude: 41.88666667, 88.01972222
Lombard Pharmacy on Main Street in Lombard
Latitude, longitude: 41.870722, 88.017615
Lombard Town Center on St. Charles Rd, Lombard (sign on door)
Latitude, longitude: 41.886692, 88.02003
Maxfields Restaurant on Roosevelt Road in Lombard
Hours of Operation are 7 AM – 3 PM Daily
Have you registered yet for Flat Apple 2017? No? There is still time to participate and earn raffle tickets to win some great prizes.
All you have to do is:
- Click on the Facebook link at the top of our website at www.healthylombard.com and then click “Sign Up” or use the link on the Flat Apple 2017 Page on our website. WHEN REGISTERING, PLEASE REMEMBER AFTER YOU FILL IN THE STUDENT INFORMATION TO COMPLETE THE PARENT/GUARDIAN INFORMATION. Once registered you will receive confirmation and a copy of the 2017 logo.
- Like us on our Facebook Healthy Lombard Selfies page (so that you can post your Selfies and Videos).
- Participate in any or all of the Flat Apple Activity. There are 4 ways to have fun:
- Go to a designated site BETWEEN June 1 and August 10. (I.e. Guest Services Desk, Located Lower Level below The Eatery at Yorktown Mall, (the list can be found on both the Healthy Lombard’s Flat Apple 2017 webpage and Calendar Page), show the Flat Apple logo, participate in their activity, and then fill out a raffle ticket.
- Find our Geocache sites. (The coordinates will be listed on our Flat Apple Page and emailed out to participants.) Take a selfie with the Flat Apple Geo Sign, post it on our Facebook Healthy Lombard Page. (We will fill out one raffle ticket for you per site/per day.)
- Create a 1-minute or less video on a healthy topic using Facebook Live, Instagram, or similar app. (ideas are on the Healthy Lombard Flat Apple 2017 website). Post it to our Facebook Healthy Lombard Page (We will fill out one raffle ticket for you for each posting we approve.) Remember to add in your family password so we can find you!
- Take a selfie of YOU doing something healthy (swimming, playing ball, etc.) using Instagram or a similar app. Post it to our Facebook Healthy Lombard Page. DON’T FORGET to add in your family password so we can fill out a raffle ticket for you. Limit – 1 photo per day.)
THE FINE PRINT:
The participant (preschool – high school age individual) MUST BE registered by a parent or guardian to win.
Although Flat Apple activities are open to children from preschool to high school, some events are age-specific so please check event information on the Flat Apple 2017 Page of the Healthy Lombard website.
Individuals participate in activities at their own risk.
Students may participate in more than 1 activity per day but cannot repeat an activity (i.e. student could do 1 geocache photo, 1 selfie photo, 1 video, and 1 site activity each day but cannot do 2 or more of the same type of activity each day.)
Registering grants permission for photo of participation (not name) to be posted on the Healthy Lombard Internet sites.
*Raffle drawing will be held at the August Healthy Lombard Partner Board Meeting. Winners will be notified by email or phone and their FIRST names will be posted on the Flat Apple 2017 page of the Healthy Lombard website.
Winners and their families will be invited to a prize reception in September.
Questions? Check out the Flat Apple 2017
Are you registered? Why Not? Did you know that:
- It’s FREE!
- Flat Apple 2017 is open to all kids ages preschool through high school.
- Participants do not have to be residents of Lombard but do need to register.
- Prizes include Gift Cards, an iPad, Beat Headphone, mini-speakers, a bike, and much, much, more!
So What are you waiting for? All you have to do is:
- Have parent or guardian click on the Facebook link at the top of the Healthy Lombard website and then click “Sign Up” or he/she may use the link on the Flat Apple 2017 Page of the website. WHEN REGISTERING, PLEASE REMEMBER AFTER YOU FILL IN THE STUDENT INFORMATION TO COMPLETE THE PARENT/GUARDIAN INFORMATION. Once registered you will receive confirmation and a link to the 2017 logo. Downloading or printing the logo speeds check in makes check in at events. Once registered a confirmation email will be sent with a link to the 2017 Flat Apple logo. Downloading or printing the logo speeds check-in at events.
If you do not want to go to FACEBOOK, use this link to register: http://conta.cc/2oJoPov
- Second, the parent or guardian “Likes” Healthy Lombard on its Facebook Healthy Lombard Selfies page, www.facebook.com/healthylombardselfies to enable posting Selfies and Videos.
- Third, the student participates in any or all of the Flat Apple Activity. There are 4 ways to have fun:
- Go to a designated site BETWEEN June 1 and August 10. (i.e. Guest Services Desk, Located Lower Level below The Eatery at Yorktown Mall, (the list can be found on both the Healthy Lombard’s Flat Apple 2017 webpage and Calendar Page), show the Flat Apple logo, participate in their activity, and then fill out a raffle ticket.
- Find the Flat Apple 2017 Geocache sites. (The coordinates will be listed on the Flat Apple web page and emailed out to participants.) Take a selfie with the Flat Apple Geo Sign, post it on the Facebook Healthy Lombard Selfies Page. (Healthy Lombard will fill out one raffle ticket for each participant per site/per day.)
- Create a 1-minute or less video on a healthy topic using Facebook Live, Instagram, or similar app. (ideas are on the Healthy Lombard Flat Apple 2017 website). Post it to the Facebook Healthy Lombard Selfies Page or the Facebook Healthy Lombard Page. (Healthy Lombard will fill out one raffle ticket for participants for each posting that is approved.)
- Take a selfie of the participant doing something healthy (swimming, playing ball, etc.) using Instagram or a similar app. Post it to our Facebook Healthy Lombard Selfie Page. (Limit – 1 photo per day.)
So, don’t wait! Register and start enjoying earning Raffle Tickets for doing healthy stuff!