Healthy Lombard and the American Heart Association are inviting schools and individual families to participate during the month of February, Heart Healthy Month, in Finn’s Mission to create a community of lifesavers!
WHAT IS FINN’S Mission?
Finn is one of the American Heart Association’s heart heroes who was born with a very sick heart. If he had been born 10 years ago, his outcome would have been very different. But he’s well and active and wants others to learn about Hearth Health through an activity called Finn’s Mission.
To participate, families register online through their school and then complete Finn’s Mission at home together. The Mission involves:
- Taking a challenge to keep their heart healthy-logged daily
- Learning how to spot the signs of a stroke
- Learn how to save a life by performing hands-only CPR
- Helping to raise life-saving funds for the American Heart Association
To encourage participation, Healthy Lombard will be donating $5 per family that registers and completes Finn’s Mission up to a total of $1000.
In addition, schools that participate can apply for a $2500 grant from the AHA to fund:
- Physical Activity equipment and resources
- Current and new programs connected to physical activity, health promotion, dance, and music during and after school
- Technology related to physical Current and new programs connected to physical activity, health promotion, dance, and music during and after school
- activity and wellness
- Playground or recreation space improvement
- Classroom enrichment related to physical activity and wellness
- Cafeteria or school kitchen improvement equipment and resources
- Water filling stations and/or safe water access improvement
- Social and emotional/counseling resources
- Music and dance resources and equipment
- Staff wellness resources
Local schools that have signed up to participate ate St. John’s Lutheran School, Lombard, Sacred Heart School, Lombard, and St. Matthew School, Glendale Heights. Lombard/Villa Park District 45 schools include York School, Stevenson School, Schafer School, and Westmore School. In addition, two schools in Glendale Heights will also participate, Reskin and Black Hawk,, as well as Winnebago School in Bloomingdale, IL.
For additional information, contact Healthy Lombard Board President Jay Wojcik at [email protected]