The Lombard Police Department is urging motorists to commit to sober driving this Halloween when children and their families will be walking through neighborhoods after dark in search of candy and spooky fun. If you plan on drinking, remember to plan for a sober ride home.
“Even one drink can impair your ability to make responsible decisions,” said Lombard Police Officer Paula Rojas. “That’s why it is so important to know how you’ll get home before you leave for the party. We urge you to plan ahead to help keep yourself and others safe.”
Impaired drivers should never get behind the wheel. It is illegal in Illinois to drive impaired by alcohol, drugs or any other substance. Remember: DUIs are not restricted to alcohol-related offenses. If you drive high, you’ll get a DUI.
Lombard Police are reminding everyone to follow these simple tips to help keep our roads safe this Halloween:
- Plan a safe way to get home before you attend a party.
- Designate a sober driver, take public transportation, use your favorite ride-sharing service, or call a sober friend or family member to get home.
- Walking while impaired can be just as dangerous as driving impaired. Designate a sober friend to walk you home.
- If you see an impaired driver on the road, call 9-1-1 as soon as it is safe to do so.
- If you see an impaired person about to drive, take their keys and help them get home safely.
Lombard Police ticket impaired drivers year-round, however extra patrols will be on the roads this Halloween due to federal traffic safety funds administered by the Illinois Department of Transportation.