Researchers have recently found geraniol is a natural and effective repellent to use in biocidal products to protect humans and animals from microorganisms and insects.
Here’s the Wikipedia definition of a biocide:
AN URGENT NEED TO REPLACE PETROCHEMICAL BIOCIDES BY NATURAL BIOCIDES
Here’s the actual situation concerning insecticidal and repellent actives:
- There’s an increased demand from the public for safe and effective repellents, insecticides and pet products.
- Resistance to synthetic chemical insecticides, such as Pyrethroids, has developed in various insect populations, especially mosquitoes and bed bugs.
The demand from the public has led to the mass marketing of plant-based products that claim to repel or kill insects. So how do we measure the quality of new insecticidal / repellent actives?
WHAT MAKES A GOOD AND SUSTAINABLE INSECTICIDE OR REPELLENT
- Effective against a broad range of insects
- Can be easily applied to skin without irritation
- Can be sprayed indoors and outdoors, won’t damage clothing, fabrics or plastics
- Pleasant, non-chemical odor
- Chemically stable
- Non-toxic to humans and animals
- Environmentally safe from his manufacture through application
- Adequate duration of efficacy
- Competitively priced