With hot and oppressive heat settling over the region, the DuPage County Health Department wants to share with residents some simple to follow tips that can help them stay cool and beat the heat.
Here are some tips from the Health Department:
- Always wear light-weight clothing that has plenty of ventilation – the fabric should “breathe.” Stay well hydrated; always ensure you consume an abundance of liquids in the summer.
- Exercise or schedule other strenuous activities when the heat and humidity are lowest, usually early morning and late evenings.
- Rest in cool, shady places frequently. If you’re hot, go cool down – get indoors, drink cool liquids, enjoy the air conditioning for a few minutes, or take a cold shower.
- Eat light, heart-healthy foods to replace minerals and nutrients that may be lost. Give your heart a little extra break during the summer months with a healthy diet.
- Watch out for those at greatest risk such as very young children, the elderly, persons who may have health conditions. Certain medications may put you at greater risk of heat-related illnesses so be aware of how medications may interact with the heat.
- For information on DuPage County Cooling Sites visit: [ http://www.dupageco.org ]www.dupageco.org.