Christa Gifford, Family and Consumer Sciences, Glenbard North High School. and District Wellness Committee Chair shared with Healthy Lombard that the Nutrition and Fitness students did a terrific job creating and making delicious healthy recipes for this year’s Healthy Cooking Challenge!
The recipes were tasted by students and staff and they voted the Cheesy Broccoli Rice Bake the winner. Here is a copy of that recipe:
Cheesy Broccoli Rice Bake
3 c. cooked brown rice
1 T. butter
1/2 onion, diced
1 ½ c. shredded cheddar cheese
2/3 c. milk
2 c. finely chopped broccoli florets
1 can Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom soup
- Spray 9 x 13” pan with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add diced onion and cook until transluscent.
- Stir in cream of mushroom soup and milk, then add cheese. Stir until melted.
- Pour cheesy mixture over rice and broccoli and stir until mixed.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 – 35 minutes or until light brown and bubbly.