The DuPage County Health Department reminds residents that this is a good time to prepare for unexpected events by assembling an emergency supply kit for their homes.
The Health Department works hand-in-hand with municipalities and other organizations throughout DuPage County to prepare for public health emergencies, including events that require the distribution of medications and other medical supplies to safeguard all county residents.
In the event of an emergency, these items are recommended for a home supply kit:
- One gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- At least a three-day supply of non-perishable food and a can opener
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a weather radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- A dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Cell phone with chargers, electrical power converter or solar charger