Vegan Sugar Cookies
Carolyn Casner EatingWell Recipe Developer & Tester shared that it’s hard to imagine a classic buttery sugar cookie without the butter, but trust us, it’s possible. Here, we use coconut oil instead of butter for dairy-free eggless cut-out cookies that taste delicious and are fun to make and eat. Decorate with a citrus glaze colored with a little food dye, sprinkles and/or sanding sugar as you wish.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Great Value Salt, 26 oz
- ½ cup room temperature coconut oil (not liquid)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Place coconut oil and sugar in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, cream the oil and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add water, lemon zest, and vanilla and beat until well combined. Gradually add the dry ingredients, beating at low speed until well combined. Divide dough into 4 pieces and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Working with 1 piece of dough at a time (keep remaining dough refrigerated while you work), roll dough between 2 pieces of parchment until about ¼-inch thick. Using 2- to 3-inch cookie cutters, cut out shapes. Lift off top sheet of parchment. Using a metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a prepared baking sheet (see Tip). Reserve the scraps to reroll. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough and scraps.
- Bake cookies, one baking sheet at a time, until lightly browned around the edges, 10 to 16 minutes.
- To make ahead: Refrigerate dough (Steps 1 and 2) for up to 4 days. Let dough stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before rolling.
- Tip: If you have trouble transferring the cookies to the baking sheet, leave the cookies on the parchment and peel away excess dough, leaving the cut-out shapes on the parchment. If the dough is too soft to peel away easily, place the parchment on a baking sheet and freeze for 10 to 20 minutes. Carefully transfer the parchment with the cookies to a baking sheet and bake as directed in Step 5.