St. John’s Lutheran Church and Peace Lutheran Church, both located in Lombard, IL are providing a solution and YOU can be part of it by participating on November 4th at a Feed My Starving Children Event being held at the Odeum in Villa Park, IL.
What’s happening? We’ll be packing 400,000 meals for starving kids with Feed My Starving Children MobilePack™ (FMSC) at the Odeum Expo Center. We’re calling the event “Live the Love” and hope to bring together individuals, businesses and organizations like churches, schools, civic groups and others in the Western Suburbs to help.
Why are we packing 400,000 meals?
5.9 million children under the age of five die each year of all causes, but nearly half are due to hunger.** From this data, FMSC estimates at least 6,200 children die each day from undernutrition. We want to provide nutritionally-balanced meals to help change this statistic.
What are the meals like?
FMSC’s nutritious MannaPack™ meal formulas are specifically designed to aid in reversing malnutrition, providing the protein (soy), carbohydrates (rice) and key nutrients (blend of vitamins and vegetables) a child needs to thrive. Each meal is packed in a sealed bag to be cooked when received.
When is the event happening?
The remote packing event will be Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017; with shifts from 9-11, 12-2 and 3-5 p.m. at the Odeum, 1033 North Villa Avenue, Villa Park, IL.
How are we going to pack 400,000 meals?
Working with FMSC, we are scheduling three 2-hour MobilePack™ shifts in which teams of 8-10 people will work together to measure, mix and seal ingredients for each meal in plastic bag. After filling a shipping box with meals, the team cheers loudly to have an FMSC worker remove the box so they can start on another. It’s a fast moving, fun event with a lot of enthusiasm, competition and motivating music! Volunteers can register to pack during one or more shifts.
Who is FMSC?
Founded in 1987, FMSC is a Christian non-profit that provides nutritionally complete meals for starving, malnourished kids in 70 nations. Pre-packaged dry meals cost just 22 cents each and are funded and assembled by donor-volunteers ages five to 100+. More than 99 percent of FMSC meals have safely reached their intended destination. FMSC consistently receives the highest awards for accountability and transparency from Charity Navigator.
How Can You or Your Organization Help?
To make this event a huge success, we need the following ways:
- Volunteer– We will need 1,500 volunteers to pack 400,000 meals. Consider getting a group together and signing up for a shift. Sign-up online starting October.
- Become a Sponsor– Individuals and organizations are invited to be a sponsor by donating. It will take $88,000 to pay for 400,000 meals. All donations to FMSC are tax deductible and go directly for food cost. We will help publicize sponsors in any a ways we can at the event and in marketing materials. Sponsorships are available at three levels:
- Sponsor 10 tables – $10,000 – signage, booth etc. (We’ll work with you)
- Sponsor 5 Tables: $5,000 – signage, name on promotion materials etc.
- Sponsor 1 Table: $1,000 – Name on promotion materials etc.
What are the benefits of sponsorship?
There are several.
- A sponsor’s table or tables will be reserved before general enrollment is open.
- This is a good team-building activity. This offers an opportunity for people from different departments or responsibility levels to work together in a friendly, non- threatening way.
- Employees have a shared experience that helps them feel good about themselves and their employer.
- You have publicity possibilities. Sponsors names will be on promotional materials.
- Your customers and employees will see that you are a caring organization.
- It is tax-deductible.
If your organization cannot sponsor a table, can your employees still volunteer?
Yes, they are welcome to register to volunteer when general enrollment is offered.
Will they have to make a donation?
No, a donation is not required to volunteer. However, we would appreciate your organization’s help to promote their participation, either as volunteers or financially. For example, you might promote FMSC on a certain day by asking everyone to give up one treat of their choice and putting the cost of it in a FMSC collection container. This would give everyone an opportunity to be part of the action. We would be happy to meet with you to discuss ways you and your employees can help.
Why is the event being held at the Odeum?
The Odeum is generously donating their facility as one of our sponsors. The facility is centrally located and has the space and the parking needed to accommodate the volunteers and activity.
How can we get involved?
Contact Ralph Blessing (630-487-9819, or firstname.lastname@example.org) to become a sponsor. You can also make donations or volunteer online or get more details at our event link https://give.fmsc.org/LiveTheLove. If you send a check, please be sure to note that it is for the Live the Love event.