March is National Nutrition Month, a nutrition education and information campaign created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
The group offers ideas for healthy snacks for kids including:
• Parfait: Layer vanilla or plain low-fat yogurt with fruit and dried cereal.
• Smoothie: Blend low-fat milk, frozen strawberries and a banana for 30 seconds for a delicious smoothie.
• Frozen Treats: Mix equal amounts of fat-free plain or flavored yogurt with 100 percent fruit juice, then pour into paper cups and freeze for a tasty treat.
• Quesadilla: Sprinkle shredded cheese over a corn or whole wheat tortilla; fold in half and microwave for 20 seconds. Top with salsa.
• Pita: Stuff a whole-grain pita pocket with ricotta cheese and Granny Smith apple slices. Add a dash of cinnamon.