The DuPage County Health Department reminds smokers that they can get help to quit by calling the Illinois Tobacco Quit line.
Quitting smoking is one of the most important things that people can do to improve their health. Call 1-866-QUIT YES (784-8937) to speak with a trained smoking cessation counselor. The counselor will help you:
- Assess your needs.
- Customize a quit plan.
- Find free local resources.
- Check with you to keep track of your progress.Tobacco use is one of the leading preventable causes of death. The global tobacco epidemic kills nearly six million people each year, of which more than 600,000 are people exposed to second-hand smoke.
There are many benefits to quitting:
- Quitting smoking will lower your chance of a heart attack, stroke and cancer.
- It will help you live longer and better. Your family will be healthier by avoiding second-hand smoke.
- Quitting will save money.
If you are pregnant, quitting smoking will improve your chances of having a healthy baby.The Illinois Tobacco Quit line is a service of the Illinois Department of Public Health and the American Lung Association of Illinois.
For more information on the DuPage County Health Department, follow us on Twitter @DuPageHD or become a fan on Facebook.